Friday, August 28, 2009

The Value of Yoga

Over the past year I have come to value the cleansing effect of Yoga. From the spiritual centering to the mental power washing, it brings peace after a cumbersome stretch of potholes and morons. As an added element to my weight loss regime (and that is what it is), Yoga kicks my Ardha Chandrasana with the slightest variation. I love the challenge of attempting and failing at a Salamba Sirsasana or progressing to both toes off the ground in strength poses like the Bakasana. I’m completely amazed at men and women pulling off handstand from supported shoulder stands.

I come out after 70 minutes with one lazy eye and the mental fog burnt away. Taking all the day’s concerns, balling them up like Play Doh, surrounding them with unfinished stories, and then putting the whole mess off to the side for a spell. Holy Crap! Don’t tell the natural man that I left my ball of concerns in the studio last night.

Since Yoga is an individualized, personalized work out, it will be there when I return. Thank goodness for perseverance and self preservation, because pride sure as heck would’ve already thrown in the towel on this man doing weak kneed sci-fi Curly-Q’s.

1 comment: