Saturday, June 8, 2013

Lonely squat rack


No matter the time of day, I can count on the squat rack being unoccupied. At first sight, one would lump the squat rack with the other rejects from the land of misfit toys; but the more I follow the words of Jaron, our personal Nostradamus on this journey, it's come to light that the squat rack has warped men and women for decades. Thousand yard stare and night sweats type of warp.

With three months (one quarter) of my prep work for the "Dunk by 38" challenge logged into the books, I am looking forward to this months 5-minute wall sit challenge. As excited as I am to take on a self-imposed challenge, I know there is a great deal of work left to get my legs into leaping shape. One of those exercises has become the bane of my existence. Every week the final exercise of Saturday's leg work out, three sets of fifteen squats at 145-175lbs (66kg-80kg), is all over me like a cheap tux on a groomsman in a wedding on the surface of Hell.

After a month of phase four of hypertrophy I can report that the hamstrings don't resemble piano strings exploding every time nature calls for a sit down meeting with number two. But with the closure of one comedic gold mine another honey hole emerges. Just today, after the second set of squats I nearly took the A-train down to irreconcilable delirium. As sweat dripped out of the eyes and the lungs neared spontaneous combustion, I began spaghetti legging around the rack, singing out loud the fight song to The ODJ in the key of weird... Hey dirty! Baby got your money!... Hey Dirt! Baby got your money! Thank goodness the gym's security DVR is on a 24hour purge cycle.



1 comment:

  1. Now you can call me "Dirty" and then lift up your skirt! (Clap clap). If you want some of this dirty... I think ole JT has fallen into delirium. Good! That was the point of this phase. Not delirium, per se, but damn near. Sounds like we hit the mark.
    Squats are the bain of the typical gym rat golf tee. They are bred to avoid leg day. Hence the constant availability of the squat rack. Most roid mongers wouldn't recognize leg day if it bit them in their cystic asses! Next week, new torture for my Vegas brother. Should make for some good blogging! Good hunting...

    ReplyDelete