Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Visiting the Dirty South on a diet


Last week my company hosted the annual national sales conference outside of our Atlanta based corporate head quarters. Hotlanta. The ATL. Dirty South! Typically going back to the South, my mother land, is like giving Adam Richman and Takeru Kobayashi tape worms and then daring them to an all night buffet bender. My southern food vice comes in little white boxes, steam cooked, and served with a pickle and mustard. If I'm within a 20 mile radius of a Krystals restaurant there is few things on a long list of possible distractions that could keep me from ordering ten to fifteen of those luscious little squares of steamed meet and rehydrated onions... It might not be divine intervention, but I feel strong that living 1500 miles from the closest Krystals may have kept me from eating myself into the grave.

So I am not exaggerating when I say there was a serious fear of falling off the wagon with a feed bag full of soul food and Krystal boxes in my pockets. These conferences are all day butt-numbing meetings, with food breaks as frequent as the watered down management cliche's. However, I should have feared the travel workout Krause packed in my carry-on more than anything on the menu. With a fitness center that lacked all things fitness, his work out offset the buffets of gluttony. Being a newly skinny man with a fragile fat guy inside, a sales conference with three hots and a cot to veg out on, and the aforementioned snack breaks, this trip looked like a disaster on paper.

The circuit was very simple; :45 seconds on, :20 seconds rest. He said to do push ups, lunges, burpies, and mountain climbers. I was shocked at how mentally tough it can be to do push ups on a timer. The killer came at the end of each round with the heart rate elevated by constants burpies and then a quick switch to jello arm producing mountain climbers. I didn't know that your ear drums could leach sweat and brain gravy at the same time. The 20 minute run at the end of the work out was the only time I got to rest. Freaking Krause is good in such an evil mastermind kind of way!

2 comments:

  1. I'm disappointed in you.... You were on vacation! Eat some freakin' Crystal burgers already and get back on the wagon when you get back to Vegas. No big whup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you had, in fact, been on vacation, I'd agree with Marty...have the Damn burger(s). As this was a work trip, and one well equipped, given its locale, to set you back a week or more, good on you for holding your ground. Love me some southern food. You left out my favorite part of the "hotel workouts": alternating prisoner squats and bench reverse dips in sets of 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, and 40 reps with NO rest. If it sounds like it sucks...it's because it sucks! I actually got giddy when ole JT told me the hotel gym had shit all for equipment. Got to go old school, not quite Rocky IV Russian montage old school, but damn near. Plus the hotel didn't have a barn, and was nowhere near a snowy mountain, I had Jarvis ask. P.S. can't tell you how pumped I am about having a midweek fix on my blog addiction, and good to see a little self-deprecating humor back in the game after taking a blow on the bench.

    ReplyDelete