Monday, October 22, 2012

Week Eleven: Shutting off the mind!

I might be stating the obvious for those familar with geography, but to those who know not, it is important to note that Jaron is 425 miles away from my gym. Prior to our seminal porch conversation on July 10th of this year, I had the belief that a successful trainer needed to be all up in my grill like a rabid drill sargent with a small man complex. Now entering the third month of the challenge, and more importantly, the third month of the rest of my healthy life... I can preach that having a trainer next to me is not needed. Accuality, with a full work load, five days of swimming, three kids, a beautiful wife, and a dogmatic writing addiction -- having a trainer in town would hurt my progress. We would have a difficult time cordinating our schuldes. I put my six day work out week down mentally on Sunday, and by Saturday all of the planned eight our nine workouts have been "gotten'dun." However, there is not a week that I don't have to call a mid flow Peyton Manning audible. I would never want to screw with a trainers valuable money-making time, even if my trainer is a long time friend who would love to be in town dropping smackdowns on me.

If you ever decide to take on a life changing exercise program, and can come to the table with the simple dedication to do the work, I highly recommend you speak with Jaron Krause. He is no snake-oil, infomercial, get fit "without doing a thing" type of guy. He calls "bull-stuff" (in honor of our dear vice president Joe B) on any gemmick that tries to sell people on cutting corners to getting in shape and living a better life. Heck, Jaron is a dealer in the wonderful acronym, "K.I.S.S." and a mad genius workout tactioner. I just walk into the gym, take out my handy workout sheet, and go until I'm done. No need to think. No need to be motivated. No need to have music playing. No need for team mates pushing me. That damn little piece of paper has the number of reps, the amount of interval, and the rest is just breathing in and out.

This doesn't mean I am not a fan of home workout programs like P90X or Insanity (I have done both, and I believe Shawn and Tony gave me a touch of PTSD). But having a guy like Jaron to write specific and targetted workouts is light years above these programs. It is worth every dollar I would've paid Jaron if he wasn't indebted to me for that thing, in that town, with those midget circus freaks... I still can't get the smell of cabbage out of my favorit fedora.

    

1 comment:

  1. There is no truth in what ole JT is eluding to toward the end there...I believe they were tall enough to be deemed dwarfs. Even mentioning cabbage violates the terms of our "agreement", and you know it! And why, WHY would you keep the hat?! Seriously, people make it more complicated than it has to be. The reason mass marketed products like the afore mentioned P90X and Insanity, are required to post strongly worded disclaimers at the bottom of the screen during their infomercials, is because your results "will vary"! The results in the commercial are "not typical" and are "extreme examples" because those programs were not designed for YOU. They were probably designed by Tony and Shawn for...Tony and Shawn. The reason JT is succeeding now, having done these other programs in the past with limited results, is that the program he is on now was designed for one person: JT, period. No one has done this program before, and no one will do it again, because it's not theirs.

    ReplyDelete