Saturday, October 13, 2012

Week Ten: 25 no mo!

If Jaron's theory is correct, I should be able to strap a 25 pound plate to my body and do the early workouts he lined out from the early weeks, now that I've shed 25 pounds of gut butter. That seems like a little stretch for me right now since this past week, and the ones to come, are endurance focused. Higher reps, lower recovery, and added weights... those freaking bicep curl 21's (7 full motion, 7 lower half, 7 upper half). This phase is really exciting because the strength workout shoots the heart rate up, giving me an opportunity to have three cardio workouts on my double days with swimming.

My fitness level is the best it has been in my thirty-somethings, and possible a distant second to my collegiate swimming years. However, the biggest difference to my earlier years has to be the time it takes me to get going. Just this past Wednesday morning the master's coach gave us 6x400 yard freestyle swims on a descending goal. The last two, (over a mile into the set) felt drastically better than the first four. Where I would typically fall about on a set like this in the past, I was able to push myself through the 400, which is like a runner repeating mile runs. With a strong back half my final 400 was 4:24. It is not surprising that warm ups are longer and my best sets in the pool or best running laps come at the later end of workouts. Learning patients thru a traditional weight loss program; who would've thought?!?!

Weekly weigh in: 206.8
Lbs dropped since last weigh-in: 5.0
To hit 195: 11.8
Weeks to go: 6

1 comment:

  1. This guy! That's who woulda thought. Nothing like not dragging that extra 25 pounds up and down the pool for miles at a time to make you aware of the laws of physics. One pound of body fat is about the size of a grapefruit. Imagine the amount of drag coefficient you would create by dragging a bag of 25 grapefruit behind you as you swam?! Paints quite the picture don't it? Just under 12 grapefruit to go. I'll let everyone in on a little secret, I've conceded the loss...bought my plane ticket this morning to visit ole JT over Thanksgiving weekend and hit up a couple games during the Global Sports Classic. And let us not forget the mother of all "cheat meals": all you can eat sushi.

    ReplyDelete