Thursday, January 30, 2014

Failure is an option.

"Clearly the toxic fumes of commercialized exceptionalism continues to pollute the view of failure's rocky shore. Just because whole hearted attempts are made the rubric's justice shall not be mocked."         --Achieving ODJ

In 2013 I failed two challenges; "6-minute Treadmill Mile" and "20/15/4 Slow Grind." For those just joining our happy parade of fitness, the "6-minute Treadmill Mile" was a pretty simple challenge on paper -- run at a 10 miles per hour pace for six minutes. The combination of my 200 plus pound structure and my gym's loosely regulated maintenance schedule for the treadmill I threw in the towel rather quickly.

Unlike the 6-minute challenge, the "20/15/4 Slow Grind" became the hangnail in my work out routine for months. 20 minutes on the treadmill at a 15% incline at a 4 miles per hour pace, and with no hand holding the sissy bar. Conceptwise the challenge seemed to have a process based formula for achievement; start with the 20 minutes and 15% incline each time, set a minimum miles per hour (3.2 was the base line) and then each week notch up the miles per hour. Unfortunately for me, once I reached 3.5 my heart rate spiked to VO2 levels (a.k.a. the maximal aerobic capacity). For every tenth of a mile per hour I increased the less I could handle the incline. At 3.5 I could make the 20 minutes with an average heart rate of 140. At 3.6 I made the entire 20 minutes three times (out of 25 attempts) with an average heart rate of 165. At 4.0 I was only able to make 4 minutes one time maxing out my heart rate in the 175-180 range. Epic fail!

2014 is going to see double if not triple the number of failures now that Jaron is in the same area code. I don't get to accept failures, they don't need my validation. This ain't about a score card, number of ribbons, times dropped, or mudders completed... we pick up heavy weights and put heavy weights down a whole bunch of times.

Post script... Jaron is kicking my butt!
Jaron: 190.1 & 17.3%
Me: 220.5 & 20.3%


1 comment:

  1. I subscribe to the theory that one does not fail for setting the bar too high and missing the mark, but for setting the bar too low and hitting it. Failure is life affirming. We learn from our failures and progress as a people. As Ole JT would echo, constant praise for achieving low set accolades is a reason our youth will be chronic underachievers. Participant ribbons, as well documented in this here blog, are the undoing of our fragile society. Coddling of our youth is the sure fire dissolution of our nation as a whole. Tomorrow's leaders and all. I'm pleased that Jarvis has learned to deal with failure in such a manly way. It's not how many times you get knocked down, it's how many times you pick yourself back up. It's been ten days since Ole JT has logged into myfitnesspal. Accountability, lost. Transparency is the goal of this round, and there you have it. How ironic that my triumphant return to Vegas has dealt Ole JT a plateau, not a resurgence? This trip may well work against him, but my mission has never been more defined, more resolute. There will be blood! I rest not till "two score no more" is complete. You hear me JT?! I picked your thrown towel off the mat, try again.

    ReplyDelete