Friday, November 8, 2013

Self-inflected leg wounds

ODJ is yet known for the bond of loosely likeminded souls seeking out endeavor across a sea of storytellers who love the sound of cheeks slapping together in a worship of voice... especially their own. ODJ perspective is alloyed Horatio Alger boot strapping and American bird-dogging -- sniffing out practices of cutting corners. Executed with enough tact not to shed light on it's own practitioners' hypocrisy, which is why ODJ is more of a mindset than a cult.
                                                    - forward to Achieving ODJ    



Over the past 15 months I have been able to survive most phase changes designed and set in motion by Krause because I have stuck to a consistent schedule. So when I read the leg work out for this current phase there was no doubt it would be brutal but survivable. Never in my wildest dreams would I think the beast of work outs might nearly end it's creator. Paging Doctor Frankenstein to the ER!

5x5 leg press (500 lbs)
5x10 donkey calf raises with 2 sec holds at top (115 lbs)
5x5 good mornings (60 lbs bar)
5x20 jumping lungs

We started off pretty solid on the leg press with little indication of leg muscles reaching spontaneous combustion. After the donkey calf set got the lactic acid boiling it was the good mornings that I pictured being my undoing. A simple set -- rest a60 pound bar on your traps and go from upright to a 90 degree hinging at the waist. To my surprise the good mornings were actually refreshing and calming to the brewing muscle burn. Three down and one to go... in my mind I was thinking, "Home free!" How wrong I can truly be sometimes.

The last set of this leg phase is all plyo (cue the professional explanation below). Like a good trainer, Krause went first to demo. However, the first set looked like it had been preceded by a full marathon. By the second one, I could've sworn neither one of us cleared the profile of a #2 lead pencil laying flat. Krause confused me when he said, "We got three more sets(*)"... I wasn't able to read his body language because the punctuation ending that sentence sure looked like a (?) and not a motivational (!) while I was convulsing for air. Fast forward through the embarrassing details of the final three sets, we agreed to no snap photos if either one of us flat backed on the warm down set of tread mill. And with no fan fair or knuckle bumps we departed for what we both knew would be two to four days of excruciating pain.

Week #1 weigh in:
JBK: 198.6 - 18.2%
Me: 219.0 - 19.3%



    

1 comment:

  1. Somehow, when I wrote this phase, I failed to consider that I would be working out with Jarvis at least one day a week, and that sooner or later, that day would bring "legs" to the table for a rueful reconning. Had I, I may have reconsidered ending the bitch with 100 jumping lunges! For those of you sitting there with a real bewildered look on your faces, jumping lunges are pretty much exactly what you're picturing: start in a lunge, back knee just off the ground, then jump with both legs and land with your front foot back, and back foot front. The "plyo" part mentioned by ole JT is plyometrics. It involves explosive powerful movements executed "as fast as can be controlled". In this case, it means no rest for the weary, each rep explodes into the next without a pause, or hold, anywhere to be found. Needless to say, I am dictating this comment to my bedside triage nurse, as I am in no physical shape to think, let alone type...or walk. I'm currently exploring the legitimacy of an insurance claim to install one of those bathtubs with an entry door in my apartment. I'm sure Obamacare will cover me...
    As for the contest, I'm pleased with both our numbers this week. 2 lbs for Jarvis is great considering he's been working out for 15 uninterrupted months already. New workouts and a renewed nutritional emphasis at work, indeed. I need any lead I can muster, as I anticipate a major caloric hiccup tomorrow: 5 hour wine event! 1000 wines, one glass, doesn't seem fair. My guess, there'll be cheese there too! There is no plausible escape plan; my blood is too thick for Nevada. I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate. At least if I get pulled over on the way home, I can explain away my inability to navigate a straight line by recounting yesterday's workout. Sober, right now, I couldn't walk a straight line if you let me crawl. On the plus side, day 2 usually brings more pain than the day after, but I'll get my medicine...4 oz. at a time. No sympathy for the devil.

    ReplyDelete