Saturday, April 13, 2013

A Man or a Muppet

Every great underdog movie of the past three decades has had the inspirational video montage to bridge large gaps of the plot. Rocky III running along the sunny beaches of Pittsburgh or Rocky IV running through the Siberian outback that looked more like Wyoming... Hearts on fire, strong desire! And my personal favorite, Teen Wolf  ripping up the court as a ball-hogging one man wolf pack. Wait... that last part was from that movie...uh, never mind! The past month has been my underdog movie montage of training. No challenges. No revisions to the work outs. And no love from the haters. As my great mentor and home town coach once said, "chopping wood, and carrying water."

The wonderful thing about a month long routine of work outs is I got to see the routine of other gym slugs. I now appreciate, like a wine snob in Napa Valley, the evolution of "brother" into a functional portmanteau. Bromance. Brodown. Brohug. Brotocol. Yada, yada, yada... Comic fodder for my mind of useless trivia and partially digested daydreams. However, I can not stand the sight of, nor the disturbing frequency of people jumping on the barefoot shoe bandwagon. Get some real shoes on, you freaking five toed, foot gloved zombies!!! Parkour just rang... cattle cars are on their way.




4 comments:

  1. There's no way to adequately articulate my disdain for the "foot gloves"! As a former teammate of mine from high school would have said, "hahahave some pride!" No self respecting man should be allowed to buy let alone wear them. I've long stood by the tenet that clothing stores should employ one dirt bag without a brain/mouth filter to explain to fat women why they are not allowed to buy spandex. Stores that sell these footwear abominations should employ one as well. Tangent concluded. Now, for the workouts, I have never had more time on my hands since leaving the gym, and yet I seem to never find time for anything! I have a new set of workouts coming JT's way on Monday. Hypertrophy allows for a little less variety, but I dropped the ball about a week ago. Also, I look forward to the reaction to the new workouts as this round will be the first to incorporate specific exercises for the improvement of vertical leap. As we saw in the last blog, we're overdue on that front. Oh, and before I forget, the only way that "Philly beach hug" from Rocky III could have been any gayer is if they were both wearing foot gloves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IDK, gentlemen, I may pick up a pair of those for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that by "summer", you are referring to a lady friend of your that you wish to rid from your life.

      Delete
  3. May all things good in the world dissuade you Unknown from picking up a pair. I might sleep restless with the knowledge my satire has inspired one person to adorn the footwear equivalent of a spring break dolphin tattoo.

    ReplyDelete