Sunday, December 30, 2012

I am Batman

The gravitational pull on my motivation to stop at the gym after a long day of work or scrape out of bed at thirty past "Oh my gosh it's early!" has very little to do with physical fitness. (Even though it's nice when the ole wife says I'm getting my David Beckham look on). As noted in earlier post, my motivation is the performance of exercise task that Jaron conjures up in his mad genius skull. With this blog providing the only real intrinsic reward needed to continue the journey. Jaron ask for no payment from me and I ask that he not change his mind. We both love to use this medium as a way to share our decade old ramblings of two wilded-eyed muses. It's our narcissistic bull horn volleys in the digital town square. Working out is just a cover to keep the CIA off our tails as the third world audience is trending toward cult following.

See people, Jaron and I are attached at hip by text message... Once we were enjoying our favorite debauchery of Sushi on Trop, when I caught myself crafting a text because I felt it played out better on the 3" Blackberry screen than in person. During Running Rebel season, our output quadruples. So much so, rumor has it AT&T is considering creating a plus 35 age group for the international speed texting competition. 

I love hypertrophy phase; with the :60 seconds of rest between reps and short sets. Jaron can get up to the minute, real time status of my efforts. This past week I was having trouble with overcrowding at the gym (pre-New Year's resolution hacks getting in the way), so Jaron gave me an alternative on the fly. Mucho appreciated! He is my side kick. Jaron is my Robin. That is, if Bruce Wayne was a near middle-aged, poorly funded southern expatriate father of three. Then I am Batman.   


1 comment:

  1. Make no mistake, some of our text rhetoric is not fit for redistribution in such a public forum. Rebel basketball season and the influx of text traffic was putting me in the poor house before the introduction of unlimited texting. That alone should give you a sense of how long this has been going on. I have a feeling we haven't heard the last of ole JT's frustrations regarding increased gym congestion this time of year. The good news for Jarvis, but bad news for society at large, 70% of these newly re-motivated resolutioners will have quit/given up by this time next week. Then we can have or gyms back. My advice, pepper your workouts with a little sarcasm: thank one obvious short timer a day for paying for such a nice facility to workout in all year long. The "fat tax", as its affectionately known. A little industry insight: at my gym, we have 23,000+ current memberships with active bar tags that could walk into the gym any day they would like to. On an average day, 2250 people check in...less than 10%. The first week of January that number almost triples! By the 10th, its back to normal! Sad. I refer to what I do as selling hope and dreams. With most purchases you get to walk out with what you just bought. When someone buys personal training, they walk out with a bill...and a hope that it'll work. I have a scant 7-10 days to capture as many of those fragile hopes and dreams before they flitter away for another 51 weeks. Kinda depressing, actually.

    ReplyDelete