Sunday, February 28, 2016

Blogpocalypse

This is the end,
my only friend,
the end...It hurts to set you free.
                                       - The Doors

"Blogpocalypse is nigh! 235! Square one! I am, apparently, a scarce few tenths of a pound from comprehensive trainer failure, and, from pulling the plug on this journalistic juggernaut that is limping along on life support." - Jaron, July 2015

"I will see this site torn to the ground after Thanksgiving, as it will no longer serve a purpose beyond nostalgia. If BLOG 3.0 is revived in 2015, I will not be a part of it! From one former fatboy to another, this time it sticks!" - Jaron, August 2012

                          
 
The West is the best, but this ride's gotta end before reaching the coast! Jaron is a man of his word, and I am a man of little loyalty to my weight plan. He set the point of no return, and as a good disciple to the pied piper of pain we are O-U-T! And so, Blogpocalypse occurred at 6:06 a.m. on Friday, February 19, 2016. The official scales read 235.2. The End... Over 100 post from August 2012 to present day, and nothing to show for it. The American Dream alludes.
 
Within the Hypocritical Oath of ODJ a passage reads; "Do as the ODJ says, not as the ODJ blatantly flaunts in your face." When Jaron gains weight, it is not acceptable to gain along side. This fat guy doesn't need sympathy from the herd; I need an unhealthy amount of fat shaming.
 
I have enjoyed documenting the past 40 months of weight loss, weight gain, and the occasional opine on the subcultures of gym life. Don't fret our loyal followers, we will be fine. Our word-smithing will never go fallow. We have been texting like twenty-something hipsters since the days of Startac numpadding. The QWERTY keyboard was but a glimmer in the eye of Blackberry when we were producing rapid fire twenty-first century Gonzo. And if that is not enough comfort for those who care; Jaron and I can now give more time and attention to the long rumored, but not yet titled sequel to Achieving ODJ.

In the inspiring words of Randy Dupree... Stay loose. Stay liquid. Laugh a lot. Stay nimble till you get the call from the mother ship.

1 comment:

  1. Today is a sad day! It's not one I didn't see coming, but one I feared inevitable. As a trainer, I know the daunting statistics regarding loss and regain. 80% who lose more than 40 pounds in 6 months regain it within the next year. Those who lose weight with the help of a trainer are likely to regain upon leaving the guidance of said trainer at about the same clip. The reasons vary, but boil down to: loss of ambition and accountability, reverting to old dietary habits, and worse, metabolic syndrome from a diet too low in calories. No matter the cause, weight loss is fleeting. The longer you are able to maintain, the more likely you are to keep it off. The body sets a new internal set point, but without adequate time, the previous internal set point will be reacquired. Not sure if this is what happened with Ole JT, or if is was just his old ass metabolism that shut down. Could be a combination of several factors. Fact is, he does bust his butt in workouts, has been documenting his dietary transgressions on myfitnesspal, and doesn't drink. As a trainer, I am baffled, and have to conclude I failed him. This ride has been a glorious tryst through Gonzo neighborhoods the average gym-going yahoo has never visited, nor would ever seek. No right-minded fitness enthusiast should concede our rhetoric, though our methods remain sound. Being a "do as I say, not as I do" trainer doesn't, perhaps, work with a close personal friend. It damn well works on clients. As I find myself in an increasingly sedentary lifestyle, I see that maintaining one's own fitness is vital in empowering others to seek likewise. There's a lesson to be learned here somewhere... Being the nihilist I am, I am sure it was wasted on me! This was a fucking great trip, and Jarvis a great friend and acquiescent client! I regret nothing. The last few years of free advice to Ole JT have been rewarding and frustrating at even intervals. We've shared in triupmphs, failures, and apocalyptic journalistic meltdowns in the face of herd mentality fitness fads and gym-centric stereotypes. The juice was worth the squeeze! As this is the end, I must thank the two or so loyal readers we had (barring our NSA handlers, hi fellas! and any accidental clicks we got from the Balkans), and apologize to anyone who we offended, not sincerely, mind you, as that accounts for pretty much everyone, and that was our goal, but still. We bought the ticket, we took the ride. Parting is such sweet sorrow! Blog, I will miss you! As for you, JT, you remain my victim of deliberate pain. See you Monday...bitch.

    ReplyDelete