Saturday, January 12, 2013

Dude, where's my chair?


In a society with infinite ways to cure boredom and pass the time, the days have the illusion of rocketing through existence. However, many eastern philosophical practitioners speak of being in the now. Living life in the moment. Feeling each second pass by without worrying about the next tick on the clock. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Well friends and foreigners, I have discovered the key to slowing time down; 90 degree wall-sits while holding over head a 20 pound medicine ball.

During my 2008 P90X fat guy phase, ole Tony Horton talked trash on his lite version of wall sits. No disrespect Tony, but Body by Jaron adds the pressure of holding a weight above yo'head. Not only do my legs shake like a dubstep superstar after a six pack of Red Bull for the balance of the :45 second interval. I reach for any mental distractions to block out two oxygen burning shoulders adding to the party. Tick tock, tick tock, goes the clock.
The leg work out is five rounds of five reps in this phase, with :60 second rest between each round. This phase has produced a few guttural moans as predicted by the mad genius. Jaron wrote it like this: 
  • Leg press, single leg, 200lbs
  • Wall sits :45 seconds, 20lbs weight over head
  • Donkey Calf (slow), 70lbs
  • Good mornings, 85lbs
  • Hanging straight leg lifts, 10 reps
  • Planks on stability ball with one leg up, :30 seconds each leg, 4 rounds
Jaron kindly supplied the demo image of planks on the stability ball.The entire leg workout (cardio excluded) runs :60 minutes, plus or minus a few minutes for rethinking life's priorities. The beast on paper is the wall sits, but planks are the capstone to a brutal leg day. At one point I could have sworn this exercise combination was footnoted in the fifth circle of Dente's Inferno; "I saw multitudes
to every side of me; their howls were loud while, wheeling weights, they used their chests to push."

P.S. Check out next week's challenge; 1 mile tread mill run on six minutes. (I currently run 2 miles a day on a 9:20 mile pace. Get my sprint on!)
 

1 comment:

  1. I don't recall a single "direct" client with the shear determination and dedication that Jarvis displays. Ironic because of the 400 mile gap between trainer and client! I think there's a quality that swimmers either innately possess, or develop, that allows us to just put our heads down, put faith in someone smarter than ourselves, and do what we're told. Those wall sits are no joke. And by the end of the workout you begin to question whether the single leg stability ball planks are a core exercise or a leg exercise. Hint...they are both. I anticipate ole JT's first failed challenge. Not to be pessimistic, but a six minute mile is tough! I have planned to transition his traditional cardio to interval training next week. That should allow him to build his speed for this challenge to be revisited soon. I hope I am wrong, but I'm certain I could not do this right now, so I see pain and struggle in the next blog. For the layperson reading this blog, be it in Russia or Canada (what's up Wake!), interval training done right utilizes "zone 3 training", above one's anaerobic threshold for one minute or less at a time to avoid catabolic metabolism and burn a tremendous amount of calories in a short time, while improving cardiac recovery rate. More on this in weeks to come. I design these workouts to keep Jarvis mildly disabled. Glad I have hit the mark! No pain, no gain. This deep into a program, easier said than done. There's a cafe here in town that prides itself on a particular eating challenge: La Sage Cafe. The challenge is a beast of a deli sandwich, 18" long and half as wide; easily 3 pounds! Finish it, and you get to name it, until the next to do so. Currently it is called "Dante's Inferno". Every bit as painful as wall sits, I surmise. I've split it with a coworker, think I might be able to tackle the bastard on a good day, but not sure I want the byproduct that goes along with the glory... If it's that big going in...yeesh. Plus it's plausibly 6000 calories. Three days worth for the average Joe. Maybe that's what this blog needs; challenges for me that are the complete opposite of Jarvis's plight. That reminds me, every year my company has sponsored a "body transformation challenge". 12 weeks, starting in January. I think they are sick of me winning the thing (I gain 30 pounds yearly to take it off in the challenge, because there is money involved and I have won the last two years), because this year they are not having it! I just gained 25 pounds for nothing! Eh, without the contest, I have lost 8 pounds in 12 days. I vacation in April every year, so I will need to look good half naked on a beach in a few short months. So, I will, just as JTmust, will, do what needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete